DOI: https://doi.org/10.22141/2312-413x.7.3.2019.170995

Oropharyngeal microbiota in children during measles rash

L.A. Volyanska, L.B. Romanyuk, E.I. Burbela, I.L. Gorishna

Abstract


Background. The purpose of our work was to study the oropharyngeal microbiota in children with measles. Materials and methods. We observed 35 children who got sick with a typical form of measles and were hospitalized. Among the exa­mined children, 23 (65.7 %) patients had an uncomplicated course, the rest 12 (34.3 %) patients had measles complicated by pneumonia, bronchitis or otitis. Material from the oropha­rynx in the period of rash was investigated by microbiological method. Clarifying identification was performed using a semi-automatic microbiological analyzer Vitek-2. To estimate the frequency of various microorganisms on the mucous membrane of the oropharynx in the population, we used the indicator of (Rі) incidence, the degree of domination of one or ano­ther representative of the microbiota in the group was determined by the frequency of its appearance in the samples, ­using the constancy index (C, %). Statistical data processing was carried out using the standard software package for a personal computer. Results. A study of the oropharyngeal microbiota in observed children with measles found the dominance of obligately resident microorganisms: α- and β-hemolytic Streptococci, Lactobacillus spp., Neisseria spp. Representatives of the transient microbiota were Enterobacter spp., Pseudomonas spp. and Micrococcus spp. Elective resident flora of the oropha­rynx was composed  by microorga­nisms: Staphylococcus spp., particulary S. aureus, Streptococcus spp. and with γ-hemolysis, Corynebacterium spp., Moraxella spp., Candida spp. and E. coli and Enterococcus spp. Streptococci value reached the maximum indicator of the incidence of microorganisms (Pu) in the oropharynx of patients with measles, α- and β-hemolytic Streptococci appeared with the same frequency. Conclusions. Thus, in children with measles, there is a violation of the oropharyngeal normocenosis, which is manifested with a decrease in the constancy index (C) and the rate of the incidence of Pi constant strains of Staphylococcus spp., Neisseria spp. and Lactobacillus spp. An increased index of constancy and incidence indicator indicates a violation of the normocenosis at the border with dysbiosis of the oropharynx in children with measles. Increased ration of α-, γ- and β-hemolytic Streptococci in combination with the expressed factors of their pathogenicity is a probable cause of bacterial complications of Streptococcal etiology.

Keywords


measles; children; oropharyngeal microbiota

References


World Health Organization. Immunization, Vaccines and Biologicals. Measles and Rubella Surveillance Data. Available from: https://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/burden/vpd/surveillance_type/active/measles_monthlydata/en/.

Muscat M, Shefer A, Ben Mamou M, et al. The state of measles and rubella in the WHO European Region, 2013. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014 May;20 Suppl 5:12-8. doi: 10.1111/1469-0691.12584.

Storchak AV, Grishchenko OV. Problematic issues of restoration of vaginal biocenosis. Health of Woman. 2015;(97):52-60. (in Ukrainian).

Okhotnikova OM. Airway obstruction syndrome in children: the difficult questions - the right decisions. Zdorovʹe rebenka. 2016;(69):88-96. doi: 10.22141/2224-0551.1.69.2016.73724. (in Ukrainian).

Marusik UI. Measles in children. Aktualʹnaâ Infektologiâ. 2017;5(3):129-133. doi: 10.22141/2312-413x.5.3.2017.109855. (in Ukrainian).

Streptococcus. In: Andrianova TV, Bobyr VV, Vynograd NO, et al., authors; Shyrobokov VP, editor. Medychna mikrobiologija, virusologija ta imunologija [Medical Microbiology, Virology and Immunology]. 2nd ed. Vínnitsya: Nova knyga; 2011. 341-343 pp. (in Ukrainian).

Shostakovych-Koretsraya LR, Mavrutenkov VV, et al. Measles (lecture). Medicni perspektivi. 2013;18(3):4-15. (in Ukrainian).

Zhang Y, Ding Z, Wang H, et al. New measles virus genotype associated with outbreak, China. Emerg Infect Dis. 2010 Jun;16(6):943-7. doi: 10.3201/eid1606.100089.

Selina SP. Measles. Available from: https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/966220-overview.

Khan I, Khattak AR, Muhammad A. Complica-tions of measles in hospitalized children. Khyber Med Univ J. 2013;5(1):27-30.

Rashid MA, Afridi MI, Rehman MA.Frequency of complications in measles patients at Peshawar. Gomal J Med Sci. 2016;14(2):112-116.

Voljans'ka LA, Romanjuk LB, Kalataj NR. State of the oropharyngeal biotope in children with frequent respiratory diseases and antibiotic sensitivity of the detected microorganisms. Medicni perspektivi. 2009;14(1):182-185. (in Ukrainian).




Copyright (c) 2019 ACTUAL INFECTOLOGY

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

 

© Publishing House Zaslavsky, 1997-2019

 

   Seo анализ сайта