History of infectology of Ukraine in the mirror of numismatics
Keywords:medicine, infectology, history, numismatics
The branch of historical science of numismatics (from the Latin numisma — coin) originated in the 19th century and became closely connected with economics, politics, culture and law, it includes a thematic study of coins, medals and plaques. Best of all, the history of infectology is illustrated by various forms of the medalist educational art (exonumia, or paranumismatics), and the coin became the prototype of the memorial medals. This work presents a catalog of 64 numismatic materials (including some unique, first cited), reflects the stages of development of the study of infectious diseases, methods for diagnosing and treating them; there are links to significant historical events; brief biographies of physicians who have made an invaluable contribution into the formation of this scientific discipline are mentioned.
Shryock R.H. Nineteenth century medicine: scientific aspects. Cah. Hist. Mond. 1957. 3(4). Р. 881908. PMID: 19938391.
Eyer H. «The relationship between bacteriology and epidemiology» — and what became of it. MMW Munch. Med. Wochenschr. 1978. 120(14). Р. 465467. PMID: 347260.
Evans A.S. Causation and disease: effect of technology on postulates of causation. Yale J. Biol. Med 1991. 64(5). Р. 513528. PMCID: PMC2589507.
Hardy A. On the cusp: epidemiology and bacteriology at the local government board, 18901905. Med. Hist. 1998. 42(3). Р. 328346. DOI: 10.1017/s0025727300064012.
Morabia A. Epidemiology and bacteriology in 1900: who is the handmaid of whom? J. Epidemiol. Community Health. 1998. 52(10). Р. 617618. DOI: 10.1136/jech.52.10.617.
Barshteĭn Iu.A. Benchmark memorial medals dedicated to anniversary dates in the history of the sciences of microbiology and epidemiolo-gy. Mikrobiol. Zh 1998. 50(4). Р. 109111. PMID: 3074254.
Kunzmann R. The Saint Eligius, his life and work and his traces in numismatics. Schweiz Arch. Tierheilkd. 2014. 156(1). Р. 1316. DOI: 10.1024/00367281/a000541.
Синяченко О.В., Головач І.Ю., Єрмолаєва M.В. та ін. Ревматологія в oбличчях: нумізматикобіографічний каталог. Краматорськ: Друкарський дім, 2019. 180 с.
Синяченко О.В, Сміян С.І., Єрмолаєва M.В., Думанський Ю.В. Медицина. Україна. Нумізматика. Тернопіль: Підручники і посіб-ники, 2019. 192 с.
Pearn J. Enduring biographic heritage — medical numismatics. J. Med. Biogr. 2019. 27(2). Р. 108115. DOI: 10.1177/0967772016676784.
Mayer R. The history of a medal. Rev. Med. Brux. 2011. 32(6). Р. 553559. PMID: 22279858.
Popkin R.J. Medicine in numismatics. Surg. Gynecol. Obstet. 1961. 113. Р. 65760. DOI: 10.1056/NEJM196408062710611.
Copyright (c) 2020 ACTUAL INFECTOLOGY
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.